- Studying in New Zealand
- Qualifications and standards
Providers and partners
- About education organisations
- NZQA's quality assurance system for tertiary education organisations
- Quick links to NZQF documents
- Approval, accreditation and registration
- Consistency of graduate outcomes
- External evaluation and review
- Assessment and moderation
- Development of assessment standards
- Submitting results and awarding qualifications
- The Education (Pastoral Care of International Students) Code of Practice
- Offshore use of qualifications and programmes
- Guidelines and forms
- About us
Consultation on NZQA Rule changes
Closed 11 Aug 2016
The New Zealand Qualifications Authority (NZQA) consulted on proposed changes to a number of existing NZQA Rule from 16 June to 11 August 2016.
The proposed changes sought to ensure that NZQA Rules are clear, reflect current practice and operational changes, and enable NZQA to effectively perform its quality assurance functions.
NZQA received 26 submissions from across the non-university tertiary sector. The feedback provided was largely supportive of the proposed changes.
For more information on the consultation feedback, see Consultation feedback on proposed changes to NZQA Rules (PDF, 138KB).
Part A - Proposed Rule changes for Te Hono o Te Kahurangi Quality Assurance
NZQA consulted you on proposed Rule changes to reflect the outcomes of the 2015 targeted review of Mātauranga Māori Evaluative Quality Assurance (MM EQA) wharenui framework and approach.
Changes were proposed to a number of NZQA Rule sets to ensure that evaluative processes were culturally robust and regulatory fit for purpose, and to update descriptions within the context of the Rules.
Part B - Proposed Rule changes to assure consistency of graduate outcomes
NZQA consulted you on proposed Rule changes to assure the consistency of graduate outcomes for qualifications at levels 1 - 6. These changes related to:
- NZQF Qualification Listing and Operational Rules 2012
- NZQF Programme Approval & Accreditation Rules 2013.
The process for assuring the consistency of graduate outcomes was consulted on from June to mid-August 2013. The Guidelines for assuring national consistency of graduate outcomes for qualifications listed on the New Zealand Qualifications Framework (PDF, 373KB), which were published in August 2014, specify the process for assuring the consistency of graduate outcomes and the associated performance criteria.
This consultation proposed changes to the specified NZQA Rules to capture the responsibilities of participants in the consistency process.
Part C – Other changes to NZQA Rules
NZQA also consulted you on proposed Rule changes to the following:
- External Evaluation and Review (EER) Rules 2013 - note that these proposed changes were separate to the EER enhancement proposals that NZQA had recently consulted on: Consultation on proposed enhancements to External Evaluation and Review (EER)
- Private Training Establishment Registration Rules 2013
- NZQF Programme Approval and Accreditation Rules 2013, including changes to the Criteria for existing English proficiency on the NZQA website
- Student Fee Protection Rules 2013
- PTE Enrolment and Academic Records Rules 2012.
These changes were proposed for a number of reasons. Some reflected a change in operational direction, others clarified requirements and roles of stakeholders, and some were technical changes. The attached draft consultation document outlined each proposed change, reason for the change and the anticipated impacts. See 'Other proposed changes to NZQA rules (PDF, 466KB)'.
To collect feedback on the proposed changes NZQA published a survey. The chance to respond to that survey closed at 5pm 11 August 2016.