- Studying in New Zealand
- Qualifications and standards
- Providers & partners
- About us
Development of Manaaki Marae - Marae Hospitality qualifications
Closed 21 Sep 2012
NZQA Māori Qualifications Services (MQS) is working on developing New Zealand Qualifications in Manaaki Marae - Marae Hospitality.
To ensure these qualifications meet the current and future needs of tauira Māori, NZQA is seeking feedback from interested groups/parties on these Manaaki Marae - Marae Hospitality qualifications.
Mandatory Review of Manaaki Marae - Marae Hospitality Qualifications
Qualifications in Food and Hospitality (at Levels 1-6, excluding university qualifications) were scheduled for review in 2011 as part of the nation-wide mandatory review of qualifications. Currently there is only one qualification in Marae Catering.
Part of the rationale for the mandatory review is to ensure that qualifications are useful, relevant and valuable to current and future learners, employers and other stakeholders.
Establishing a Working Group
The initial stages of the review of qualifications in Manaaki Marae - Marae Hospitality are being lead by NZQA, Māori Qualifications Services (MQS), who is the current owner of the National Certificate in Marae Catering (Level 2) [Ref: 1165].
A working group was established to:
- Provide strategic advice and guidance to ensure the integrity of tikanga and marae kawa are maintained
- Identify the societal needs for qualifications in Marae Hospitality, as well as the need for such qualifications in relation to marae and learners
- Develop qualifications that meet the identified needs of marae, the learners and Māori society in general, in relation to Marae Hospitality
- Consult with wider stakeholders
- Critically analyse developments and any stakeholder submissions to consultation
- Provide final endorsement of the qualifications prior to submission.
Collectively the working group have extensive experience in, and knowledge of, the hospitality sector and Marae Hospitality. The working group have committed themselves to working for the good of the entire sector, and to communicate with and consult all stakeholders freely.
Draft Manaaki Marae - Marae Hospitality qualifications
- New Zealand Certificate in Manaaki Marae - Marae Hospitality (Level 2) (DOC, 24KB)
- New Zealand Certificate in Manaaki Marae - Marae Hospitality (Level 3) (DOC, 25KB)
- New Zealand Certificate in Manaaki Marae - Marae Hospitality (Level 4) (DOC, 26KB)
- New Zealand Diploma in Manaaki Marae - Marae Hospitality (Level 5) (DOC, 24KB)
Have your say in development
MQS are looking for opinion and comment on the draft qualifications before they are submitted for approval to develop. For more information on the criteria for listing, see Listing qualifications on the NZQF.
What we would like from you
Your feedback as a national peak body, education organisation, whānau, hapū, and iwi or any other interested party on the three qualifications listed.
- Do the strategic purpose statements match the needs of learners, whānau, hapū, iwi, hāpori and other relevant stakeholders?
- Do the employment and education pathways enable graduates to pursue intended educational, employment, community and/or cultural outcomes?
- What, if any, outcomes (knowledge or skills) have been omitted from the three graduate profiles?
- What Tikanga concepts should be further developed or added to the graduate profiles?
- Are there aspects of knowledge and skills that should be further developed or added to the graduate profiles.
Please send your comments and/or feedback to Māori Qualifications Services by Friday 21 September 2012.
Find information for...
New NZQA Deputy Chief Executive appointed Read more »
SPANZ speech from Dr Karen Poutasi Read more »
Consultation on English Language and Computing unit standards Read more »
ANZSIIS International School – student fee refunds Read more »
International collaboration to raise standards in private education Read more »