- Studying in New Zealand
- Qualifications and standards
Providers and partners
- About education organisations
- NZQA's quality assurance system for tertiary education organisations
- Quick links to NZQF documents
- Approval, accreditation and registration
- Consistency of graduate outcomes
- External evaluation and review
- Assessment and moderation
- Development of assessment standards
- Submitting results and awarding qualifications
- The Education (Pastoral Care of International Students) Code of Practice
- Offshore use of qualifications and programmes
- Guidelines and forms
- About us
Assessment and examination rules
The following rules are concerned with assessment (internal and external) of learning at secondary school level:
- Assessment and examination rules for schools (2016)
- Assessment and examination rules for TEOs with Consent to Assess Entering Candidates for Externally Assessed Achievement Standards 2016
- Assessment and Examination Rules for Home-schooled students (2016)
NB: The rules which applied in 2015 will continue to be available while Reviews and Reconsiderations or other challenges of 2015 results are resolved.
Private training establishment and Industry Training Organisation rules
The following NZQA rules are concerned with the establishment and operation of private training establishments (PTEs):
- Registration (and amendments)
- Annual fee rules 2015
- Enrolment and academic records (and amendments)
- Student fee protection (and amendments)
- Refund Criteria for Courses of Less Than Three Months - Gazette notice 2003 (Note that the parts of this Notice relating to exempt courses has been replaced by the Education (Exempt Training Schemes) Notice 2012
External Evaluation and Review rules (including Self Assessment)
- Quality Assurance (including External Evaluation and Review (EER)) Rules 2016 for all Tertiary Education Organisations other than Universities
NB: The external evaluation and review rules (above) incorporate the External Evaluation and Review (EER) Amendment Rules 2014 (PDF, 184KB). If you need to, you can download the original version (PDF, 148KB) of the rules which do not include the 2014 amendments, and were in effect from 1 January 2013 until 31 December 2013.
- External Evaluation and Review (EER) Amendment Rules (No.2) 2014
- External Evaluation and Review (EER) Amendment Rules 2016
New Zealand Qualifications Framework (NZQF) rules
The following NZQA rules relate to the New Zealand Qualifications Framework (NZQF).
- Qualification listing and operational
- Programme approval and accreditation
- Offshore programme delivery
- Industry training programmes
- Secondary School Qualification for which Accreditation Not Required - Gazette notice
If you need to, you can also download the original version of the rules (PDF, 303KB) which do not include the 2013 or 2015 amendments, and were in effect from 1 January 2013 until 11 October 2013.
The Qualification Listing and Operational Rules 2012 (above) incorporate the Qualification Listing and Operational Amendment Rules 2013 (PDF, 9.4KB). If you need to, you can download the original version of the rules (PDF, 360KB) which do not include the 2013 amendments, and were in effect from 16 December 2012 until 7 November 2013.
Standards and assessment rules
The following NZQA rules relate to the assessment of standards listed on the Directory of Assessment Standards (DAS).
NB: The Directory of assessment standards listing and operational rules (above) incorporate the Directory of Assessment Standards Listing and Operational Rules 2011, Amendment No.1 (PDF, 6.4KB). If you need to, you can download the original version (PDF, 38KB) of the rules which do not include the amendments, and which were in effect until 31 October 2014.
Training scheme rules
The following NZQA rules apply specifically to training schemes. A training scheme is any study or training that leads to an award but does not, of itself, lead to an award of a qualification listed on the New Zealand Qualifications Framework (NZQF).
- Training schemes
- Education (Exempt Training Schemes) Notice 2012
- Secondary School Qualifications for which Training Scheme Approval is not required
All of NZQA's rules are made under section 253 of the Education Act 1989 and have been approved by the NZQA Board and, when required, the appropriate Minister of the Crown.
Assessment and examination rules for TEOs with Consent to Assess Entering Candidates for Externally Assessed Achievement Standards 2015
Criteria for programme approval and accreditation (replaced by the NZQF Programme Approval and Accreditation Rules 2013)
Statutory policies for incentives and sanctions (incorporated into various of the rules above)
Assessment rules and procedures for granting the NZ Diploma in Business 2009 (replaced by conditions imposed under section 250A(4)and(5) of the Education Act 1989 (the Act) on 21 December 2012)
Student fee protection policy (replaced by the Student Fee Protection Rules 2013)