- Studying in New Zealand
- Qualifications and standards
Providers and partners
- About education organisations
- NZQA's quality assurance system for tertiary education organisations
- Quick links to NZQF documents
- Approval, accreditation and registration
- Consistency of graduate outcomes
- External evaluation and review
- Assessment and moderation
- Development of assessment standards
- Submitting results and awarding qualifications
- The Education (Pastoral Care of International Students) Code of Practice
- Offshore use of qualifications and programmes
- Guidelines and forms
- About us
Online programme accreditation application
This user guide is intended to support online users during the application process for programme accreditation.
About the application
The online application form provides detail to populate the NZQA database.
A full application includes documentation that demonstrates how your application meets the requirements set out in the applicable guidelines.
There are six sections in the application form. You must complete each section in order before progressing to the next, even if zero is inserted. Each section must be fully completed before submitting the application to NZQA for assessment.
- Section 1: Contact details
- Section 2: Programme overview
- Section 3: Assessment standards
- Section 4: Qualifications
- Section 5: Application documents
- Section 6: Comments
At any time, you can delete the application or return to TEO applications. If you return to TEO applications, any sections you have completed will not be lost. You can resume filling out the application.
The application process
When you submit this application, you will receive an auto generated email quoting an NZQA reference number. Use this number in future, if you need to email or speak to a member of staff about the application.
You will be notified when your application is assigned to an evaluator. You should expect this to happen within ten working days.
You will be invoiced on a regular basis for ongoing work on your application at a rate of $150 per hour plus GST.
Please direct any queries about this application to our client services team. Remember to include the NZQA reference number on all correspondence.
Before you get started
Before you begin this application, check you have:
- finished the development of the application; and
- the necessary consent to assess for any assessment standards that may be included in the programme, and
- made an application for any assessment standards you don’t have consent to assess for.
Throughout this guide, two booklets are regularly referenced. You should have these handy when filling out your application form. They are:
- New Zealand Qualifications Framework (PDF, 606KB) (referred to as the Framework throughout this guide)
- Guidelines for applying for approval of programmes leading to New Zealand qualifications at Levels 1-6 on the NZQF and the accreditation of organisations to provide approved programmes (PDF, 545KB) (referred to as Guidelines throughout this guide)
Click the Return to application overview link to leave the section you are in and return to the application summary screen.
Click the Return to TEO applications link to leave the application and return to your TEO applications summary page. Any sections you may have completed will be saved and you can resume filling out the application later.
Complete all fields marked with an asterisk (*), as these fields are mandatory.
Filling out the form
Enter the name of the key contact person for this application. If NZQA requires more information, this is the person they will contact. An email address is required because auto-generated communications will be sent there.
Search for the programme ID number or part of its title. Programme information will pre-populate.
Delivery and Assessment
This section is about delivery mode and methods, and assessment methods. For delivery mode, choose one or more of the following:
Examples of delivery methods are classroom, lecture, tutorial, workshop, fieldwork, work-based, distance, blended and online.
Examples of assessment methods are open book test, written assignment, oral presentation, and practical observation.
You will also need to include a section relating to delivery mode and methods (criterion 2) and assessment methods (criterion 3) in the programme documentation.
This section allows you to check that you have the correct unit standards. If you need to make any changes, go back to Section 2 Programme Summary.
You must supply the two types of documents mentioned below. These documents must demonstrate that your application meets the gazetted Rules. The documents are essential before an analysis can be made.
1. Revised Programme Structure
You must provide a document that covers the makeup of the revised programme (i.e. units, lessons, modules, assessments) and the topics covered in each component. It should also provide an outline of the programme delivery, showing how much time is spent (hours per day, or hours per week) covering the programme material.
2. Supporting Evidence
Please also attach any other evidence that you meet the rules for programme accreditation. Suitable documents include, a student handbook, programme brochure, letters of support etc.
Please add any comments about the programme or process here.
Submitting your application
Before submitting your application you will be asked to review the full application form. Please note that all sections of the application form will appear even if they are not applicable to the application to be submitted.
You are now ready to submit your application. Before you do, check:
When you click Submit Application, your application will appear in the TEO applications table. You can View your completed application, or Withdraw your completed application until such time that an outcome has been reached.