- Studying in New Zealand
- Qualifications and standards
Providers and partners
- About education organisations
- NZQA's quality assurance system for tertiary education organisations
- Quick links to NZQF documents
- Approval, accreditation and registration
- Consistency of graduate outcomes
- External evaluation and review
- Assessment and moderation
- Development of assessment standards
- Submitting results and awarding qualifications
- The Education (Pastoral Care of International Students) Code of Practice
- Offshore use of qualifications and programmes
- Guidelines and forms
- About us
Te Hono o Te Kahurangi quality assurance
Te Hono o Te Kahurangi is a unique whare ako framework with tools to initiate evaluative enquiry. Te Hono o Te Kahurangi assists evaluators to assess ‘te tū o te whare ako’ that is how well, and to what extent, tertiary education organisations are contributing to education outcomes.
Te Hono o Te Kahurangi was updated in 2016 following an extensive internal and sector review.
For more information about the review see:
- Review of the Mātauranga Māori Evaluative Quality Assurance approach
- The consultation summary for the rule changes (PDF, 176KB) proposed in 2016.
Te Hono Te Kahurangi guidelines
The updated Te Hono o Te Kahurangi guidelines (PDF, 1.1MB) provide guidance about the quality assurance processes for:
- approval to develop a qualification
- approval to list a qualification
- programme approval
- programme accreditation
- legislated Wānanga approval to develop and list a qualification
- legislated Wānanga programme approval and accreditation
- external evaluation and review
Relevant rules and legislation
The NZQA rules that apply to Te Hono o Te Kahurangi are:
- NZQF Qualification Listing and Operational Rules 2016
- NZQF Programme Approval and Accreditation Rules 2013
- Quality Assurance (including External Evaluation and Review (EER)) Rules 2016
The updated Te Hono o Te Kahurangi rules and guidelines will apply from date of publication.
All qualifications and programmes approved under the previous Mātauranga Māori Evaluative Quality Assurance process are compatible with the updated Te Hono o Te Kahurangi quality assurance process. No changes are required.
Future consultation with the sector
From December 2016, NZQA will be consulting with the sector about further integrating Te Hono o Te Kahurangi into other NZQA’s quality assurance processes and rules:
- Degrees and other related qualifications
- Establishment of a private training establishment
- Training schemes
- Consistency of graduate outcomes review
- Consent and Moderation Requirements
- Assessment standards
For further information about Te Hono o Te Kahurangi and its processes, email email@example.com.