- Studying in New Zealand
- Qualifications and standards
Providers and partners
- About education organisations
- NZQA's quality assurance system for tertiary education organisations
- Quick links to NZQF documents
- Approval, accreditation and registration
- Consistency of graduate outcomes
- External evaluation and review
- Assessment and moderation
- Development of assessment standards
- Submitting results and awarding qualifications
- The Education (Pastoral Care of International Students) Code of Practice
- Offshore use of qualifications and programmes
- Guidelines and forms
- About us
Applying for approval of programmes of industry training
Industry training organisations (ITOs) that propose to provide a programme of training that leads to a qualification listed on the New Zealand Qualifications Framework (NZQF) must apply to NZQA for approval of the programme under section 249 of the Education Act 1989.
Preparing to apply
Applicants must be an ITO.
Read the Guidelines for applying for approval of programmes leading to New Zealand qualifications at Levels 1-6 on the NZQF and the accreditation of organisations to provide approved programmes (PDF, 545KB).
Then download and complete the Application for approval of programmes of industry training form (DOC, 154KB), ensuring that all supporting documents have been provided.
Applications for approval of programmes of industry training must include:
- Programme of industry training application form or equivalent (see above)
- A record of the ITO’s internal approval of the programme of industry training
- A self-assessment report that addresses the key evaluation question for a programme of industry training
- Details of any sub-contracting arrangements (including a copy of the sub-contracting agreement) if applicable.
All documents must be provided in PDF format.
Submit the completed application form, along with all associated documents, using the TEO application web page (see below) on the NZQA secure site.
Access the online application process
Accessing the online application process requires a TEO login for the online Education Sector Services.
If your organisation does not have a login or sufficient access to complete the online application, contact the Ministry of Education Service Desk on 0800 422-599 or email email@example.com or find the forms to apply at the ministry's Education Sector Logon page.
Obtaining a login may take a few days, so check your access before you first try to apply online.
Submitting applications online
- Select the LOGIN button in the top right corner of this web page.
- Select the appropriate organisation type and complete your login details.
- Choose 'TEO Applications'.
- Create an application.
- Select Programme Approval. This takes you to an application overview.
- Click on contact details. The contact details page will be pre-populated with your organisation’s contact details. You should make any changes necessary to ensure the details are appropriate for the industry training programme.
- Follow the instructions and guided application template.
- Attach and upload any supporting documents in PDF format.
An email acknowledging receipt of your application will be generated automatically and sent to you.
On the supporting documents page, attach and upload the following:
- A PDF version of the completed programme document template
- Your organisation’s internal approval (refer to page 19 of the Guidelines)
- Any other supporting documentation (e.g. sub-contracting arrangements).
Apply for consent to assess
If your programme of industry training contains unit or achievement standards, you must have consent to assess for these standards before your industry training programme application can be approved. Consent to assess requires a separate application.
If you need to apply for consent to assess against standards, this can be done at the same time as your programme of industry training application. See Consent to assess for more information.
Applying for approval of changes to approved programmes of industry training
Any changes to an approved programme of industry training may need NZQA approval. See Changes to programmes of industry training for more information.
How much does an application for a programme of industry training cost?
NZQA charges $150 per hour (GST exclusive) for analysis of an application.
There may be additional costs if NZQA is required to contract industry or sector experts to review an application.
Assessment of applications
The Guidelines sets out the evaluative methods NZQA will use in deciding whether or not to approve programmes of industry training.
If there are any queries about an application, NZQA will contact you.
For further information or questions, contact the Client Services team.