- Studying in New Zealand
- Qualifications and standards
Providers and partners
- About education organisations
- NZQA's quality assurance system for tertiary education organisations
- Quick links to NZQF documents
- Approval, accreditation and registration
- Consistency of graduate outcomes
- External evaluation and review
- Assessment and moderation
- Development of assessment standards
- Submitting results and awarding qualifications
- The Education (Pastoral Care of International Students) Code of Practice
- Offshore use of qualifications and programmes
- Guidelines and forms
- About us
Changes to programmes of industry training
It is expected that changes to programmes of industry training will occur naturally as a result of reflective self-assessment.
For more details see the Guidelines for applying for approval of programmes leading to New Zealand qualifications at Levels 1-6 on the NZQF and the accreditation of organisations to provide approved programmes (PDF, 545KB).
Types of changes
Two types of programme change require application to NZQA for updating programme and component records and/or quality assurance approval.
Type 1 changes
Type 1 changes relate to one or more components of a programme which do not have an impact on the overall programme and where the qualification to which the programme leads is unchanged. A component means the courses, papers, modules or assessment standards that make up the programme leading to the qualification.
Details of the changes are submitted to NZQA to ensure accurate records are maintained and the criteria for programme approval continue to be met.
However, if there are changes to more than one programme component which, when taken together, NZQA considers impact on the overall programme, then NZQA will consider the application as a type 2 change.
for further information on notifying NZQA of a Type 1 programme change, see Online Type 1 programme change notification.
Type 2 changes
Type 2 changes may occur as a result of a review of the qualification, which means the programme leading to the qualification needs to be changed to meet the new qualification requirements.
This requires NZQA approval.
Type 2 changes may apply to diplomas at level 7 which have an integrated qualification and programme.
Supporting information for an application
Applications for changes to an approved programme of industry training must include enough information to confirm that the criteria for approval will continue to be met after the changes are implemented:
- details of the qualification the programme leads to
- details of and rationale for the proposed changes to the programme
- confirmation that the programme still meets the qualification requirements
- transition arrangements for existing students (where applicable).
Submitting a change to an approved programme
Type 1 changes
Send NZQA an email with the details of the amendments to the programme and also state the nature of the change(s).
All tertiary education organisations should notify the Approvals and Accreditation team.
Type 2 changes
To notify NZQA or apply for a change to an approved programme, use the TEO secure login.
Follow the steps below:
- Log in using your ESAA ID and password.
- Choose "TEO Applications".
- Create an application.
- Select "Degree change", “Category 2 course change” (type 2) as appropriate. This takes you to an application overview.
- Click on contact details. The contact details page will be pre-populated with your organisation’s contact details. You should make any changes necessary to ensure the details are appropriate for the programme change.
- On the application/request detail page complete the relevant fields.
- On the Supporting documents page, attach any documentation in PDF format.
An email acknowledging receipt of your application will be generated automatically and sent to you.
For more information or queries about changes to an approved programme, contact our client services team.