- Studying in New Zealand
- Qualifications and standards
Providers and partners
- About education organisations
- NZQA's quality assurance system for tertiary education organisations
- Quick links to NZQF documents
- Approval, accreditation and registration
- Consistency of graduate outcomes
- External evaluation and review
- Assessment and moderation
- Development of assessment standards
- Submitting results and awarding qualifications
- The Education (Pastoral Care of International Students) Code of Practice
- Offshore use of qualifications and programmes
- Guidelines and forms
- About us
Submitting an application for approval to develop a qualification
Submit the completed documents via the TEO application web page (see below) on the NZQA secure site.
Applicants must be a legal entity and recognised by NZQA as a qualification developer. Those organisations automatically recognised by NZQA include: industry training organisations, institutes of technology and polytechnics, private training establishments, wananga, government training enterprises, universities and current course owners.
If you are not already recognised, you must apply to NZQA for recognition. Any questions, please contact NZQA.
Any organisation may apply for recognition as a qualification developer. Recognition allows organisations to develop and submit qualifications for approval. It does not confer the right to submit programmes for approval or to seek accreditation to deliver programmes.
NZQA will assign recognised qualification developers a Ministry of Education (MoE) number. You can use this number when making an Education Sector Logon - User Access Request.
To use TEO applications:
- Log in using the log-in supplied by MoE.
- Choose "TEO Applications".
- Create an application.
- Select "Approval to Develop Qualification".
- Click on contact details.
- The contact details page will be pre-populated with your organisation’s contact details. You should make any changes necessary to ensure the details are appropriate for the qualification.
- On the Supporting documents page attach PDF versions of:
- the completed application form,
- separate documents for each qualification prepared in the approved Word template
- any additional supporting documents
- completed and signed attestations from key stakeholders.
Submit, and then email Word document of the qualifications to Service support at firstname.lastname@example.org with the Case number in the Subject line.