- Studying in New Zealand
- Qualifications and standards
Providers and partners
- About education organisations
- NZQA's quality assurance system for tertiary education organisations
- Quick links to NZQF documents
- Approval, accreditation and registration
- Consistency of graduate outcomes
- External evaluation and review
- Assessment and moderation
- Development of assessment standards
- Submitting results and awarding qualifications
- The Education (Pastoral Care of International Students) Code of Practice
- Offshore use of qualifications and programmes
- Guidelines and forms
- About us
Maintaining national qualifications on the New Zealand Qualifications Framework
National qualifications will be reviewed and replaced with New Zealand qualifications as a result of the Targeted Review of Qualifications.
However, standard setting bodies must ensure that any national qualifications still listed on the New Zealand Qualifications Framework (NZQF) can be achieved until the last date of award. Maintaining the achievability of a national qualification involves revising the qualification.
Maintaining national qualifications may include:
- removing or replacing expired or expiring standards in the qualification
- removing or replacing lapsed or lapsing Directory of Assessment Standard classifications (DAS) in the qualification
- updating transition arrangements.
Other changes may not be approved by NZQA.
Revising a national qualification
An application for a revision of a national qualification must include:
- national qualification document (DOC, 68KB) - each revised qualification must be on a separate document
- annotated copies (by hand or electronically) of the registered versions of the national qualifications, to indicate the changes. If the document is tracked changed, please submit it with 'original showing mark-up'.
- a completed Revised national qualifications re-issue application (DOC, 326KB)
- a completed Transition Arrangements Evaluation check-list (DOC, 52KB) – complete and submit a separate checklist for each qualification
- a completed national qualification revision report (DOC, 26KB)
See the Formatting Guide for National Qualifications (PDF, 98KB) for more details about where text and tabs are to be placed, spacing, and how text is to be displayed.
Classification requirements for the NZQF
NZQF national qualifications need a classification from the NZ Standard Classification of Education - Field of Study (NZSCED) system, as well as the DAS classification system.
The complete NZSCED set of classifications can be accessed from the Ministry of Education.
For further information, contact Approvals and Accreditation.