- Studying in New Zealand
- Qualifications and standards
Providers and partners
- About education organisations
- NZQA's quality assurance system for tertiary education organisations
- Quick links to NZQF documents
- Approval, accreditation and registration
- Consistency of graduate outcomes
- External evaluation and review
- Assessment and moderation
- Development of assessment standards
- Submitting results and awarding qualifications
- The Education (Pastoral Care of International Students) Code of Practice
- Offshore use of qualifications and programmes
- Guidelines and forms
- About us
Applying for programme owner recognition
Programme owner recognition allows an organisation, which does not intend to deliver training, to apply for programme approval from NZQA, but not accreditation to deliver the programme.
Programme owners are organisations which have met the Quality Assurance Standard for Course Owners (PDF, 410KB). See the full list of recognised course owners. They are not registered tertiary education providers.
To apply for programme owner recognition:
- Submit an online application
To find out more about setting up an online account so you can submit an online application, see Online access for new providers and programme owners.
- Include a copy of the organisation's Quality Management System with the application.
- Include a copy of the proof of legal status of the organisation, e.g. copy of the body corporate's certificate of incorporation
- Include documentation that demonstrates how the organisation meets the Quality Assurance Standard for Course Owners (PDF, 410KB).
NZQA sets a timeframe of six months to complete the recognition process.
NZQA requires all key documentation to be provided before it can begin the recognition process. If documentation is missing or incomplete, the applicant will be advised and will be required to resubmit the information within an agreed timeframe. If the information is not received within a reasonable timeframe, NZQA can close the application and all documents will be returned.
Cost of application for programme owner recognition
NZQA charges $150 per hour (GST exclusive) for analysis of an application.
To meet quality assurance requirements programme owners should send their Annual Report to NZQA by 30 June each year. This report should reflect self-assessment in relation to matters such as the review, development and uptake of programmes; the engagement with the accredited providers; assessment and moderation matters; and training provided.
Programme owners may find the resource Using Evaluation to Strengthen Organisational Self-Assessment useful when compiling this report.
NZQA will review the report. The costs for this will be met from the current annual fee. If there is a need for any further investigation as a result of the report NZQA would charge this at the standard rate of $150 per hour (GST exclusive).
Send the report to:
Approvals and Accreditation
Quality Assurance Division
New Zealand Qualifications Authority
PO Box 160
Recognised programme owners need to pay the annual fee. Full details on the annual fee can be found on the Annual Fee Return for registered providers page.
If you have any questions or require further information, contact the Client Services team.