- Studying in New Zealand
- Qualifications and standards
Providers and partners
- About education organisations
- NZQA's quality assurance system for tertiary education organisations
- Quick links to NZQF documents
- Approval, accreditation and registration
- Consistency of graduate outcomes
- External evaluation and review
- Assessment and moderation
- Development of assessment standards
- Submitting results and awarding qualifications
- The Education (Pastoral Care of International Students) Code of Practice
- Offshore use of qualifications and programmes
- Guidelines and forms
- About us
Course Approval Under Section 4E
Schools or wharekura who are signatories to The Education (Pastoral Care of International Students) Code of Practice 2016 must seek Course Approval if they wish to offer a course intended exclusively or mainly for international students.
Courses may be, but are not restricted to, English for Speakers of Other Languages (ESOL).
Applying for Course Approval
If you wish to discuss the detail of your application please contact CourseApproval@nzqa.govt.nz with “Course approval query” in the subject line. Otherwise, follow these steps.
- Download copies of the Course Approval Application Form (DOC, 266KB), Course Approval Coversheet and Principal’s Attestations (DOC, 217KB) and Section 4E Guidelines for Course Approval (DOC, 64KB).
- Prepare your application. Your application can cover one or more courses but each course must be clearly identified.
- Email CourseApproval@nzqa.govt.nz
- the completed application coversheet and Principal’s attestations (as a PDF)
- the course approval application form (as a word document)
- any supporting documents
Please write the school name in the subject line.
What happens next?
- Your application is sent to a Course Approval Evaluator who will either approve it or request further information and clarification.
- The approval process takes up to 40 working days depending on the availability of evaluators and whether further information is required.
- You will be notified by letter of the courses you are approved to deliver. This will be added to the information about your school on the NZQA website, and you will be able to state that you hold this on your documentation.
- An invoice for the cost of the evaluation for $150 per hour + GST issued once your application has been processed.
- Applications take up to 4 hours to evaluate. You will be contacted if your application will take longer than 4 hours.
- If you are unable to supply sufficient information for your course to be approved, your application will lapse and you will be invoiced for time spent.
- You can view your school's Course Approvals on the website by searching "Education Organisations" using the school's name or code. Approvals are listed under ‘programmes’.
Course Approval Attestation
In 2016 signatories to the The Education (Pastoral Care for International Students) Code of Practice 2016 are required to attest annually as to whether they run classes, courses or programs exclusively or mainly for international students, and state if they have approval for these.
The due date for the return of your attestation form is 30 October 2016.