- Studying in New Zealand
- Qualifications and standards
Providers and partners
- About education organisations
- NZQA's quality assurance system for tertiary education organisations
- Quick links to NZQF documents
- Approval, accreditation and registration
- Consistency of graduate outcomes
- External evaluation and review
- Assessment and moderation
- Development of assessment standards
- Submitting results and awarding qualifications
- The Education (Pastoral Care of International Students) Code of Practice
- Offshore use of qualifications and programmes
- Guidelines and forms
- About us
Student fee protection
To maintain its registration a PTE must meet the requirements of NZQA's:
- Student Fee Protection Rules 2013 (PDF, 147KB). The rules replaced the former Student Fee Protection Policy from 1 January 2013.
- Student Fund Trust Deposit Exemption Rules 2016. These rules supersede any historical exemptions. Exemptions that were granted under the Student Fee Protection Policy (2005) will be revoked on 30 June 2016. For more information, please refer to Exemption from student fee protection arrangements.
Student fee protection covers all payments made to a PTE by, or on behalf of, a student. If paid to a PTE, these will include:
- fees (including course-related costs)
- living expenses.
NZQA's Student Fee Protection Rules protect the interests of domestic and international students, especially if a PTE stops offering a course in which students have enrolled (i.e. course closure).
Student fee protection options
NZQA's Student Fee Protection Rules allow a number of options to be used. These are detailed in Appendix B of the rules and include:
- trust accounts (standard or static)
- bank bonds
- insurance (student-based insurance)
- deferred payment
- company or parent body guarantees
PTEs may use the option most suitable for their circumstances, provided NZQA gives prior approval. PTEs may also use more than one option as long as the fees of all students are covered to the satisfaction of NZQA. If the PTE's student fee protection mechanism is a trust account or bank bond, the PTE will need to use the relevant NZQA-approved trust deed.
Student fee protection supplier contacts
Below is a list of contacts for suppliers of student fee protection arrangements. NZQA has approved these suppliers but is not responsible for their products. Approval may be withdrawn if the product no longer meets the requirements of the Student Fee Protection Rules.
|Student fee protection supplier contacts|
(Trusts – Bond, Static and Standard)
09 985 6806
0800 494 733
New Zealand Institute of Chartered Accountants
(through its members, Trusts)
New Zealand Law Society
(through its members, Trusts
Student fee protection information to students
At a minimum, students should be advised:
- the amount of fees protected
- the type of fee protection arrangement in place and details of the trustee if applicable
- people or organisations to contact if their course or PTE closes
- to attend meetings arranged for students affected by a closure
- to consult the NZQA website.
For more information on specific issues with regard to PTE obligations regarding international student fee protection, see International student fees - specific issues.