- Studying in New Zealand
- Qualifications and standards
Providers and partners
- About education organisations
- NZQA's quality assurance system for tertiary education organisations
- Quick links to NZQF documents
- Approval, accreditation and registration
- Consistency of graduate outcomes
- External evaluation and review
- Assessment and moderation
- Development of assessment standards
- Submitting results and awarding qualifications
- The Code of Practice for Pastoral Care - caring for international students
- Offshore use of qualifications and programmes
- Guidelines and forms
- About us
Assessment and moderation
Managing national assessment
The New Zealand Qualifications Authority (NZQA) works in partnership with schools to assist in achieving valid, fair, accurate and consistent internal assessment.
Moderation of NZ Diploma in Business
The New Zealand Diploma in Business (NZDipBus) is a nationally-recognised qualification, owned and administered by NZQA. An overview of the NZDipBus internal moderation processes and national external moderation system is available at:
Tertiary Education Organisations (TEOs) must be accredited by NZQA before they can offer programmes of education and training. TEOs assessing learners against unit or achievement standards must carry out internal moderation and engage with the national external moderation that applies.
Assessment of standards
Unit standards specify what a candidate for assessment needs to know, do, and understand. Whether it is by task or evidence, assessment can use a variety of methods and approaches (appropriate to the candidate and the context) that give the candidate the opportunity to show competence.
Moderation of industry unit standards
NZQA requires Industry Training Organisations (ITOs) to report annually on the management of their national external moderation systems. This is to meet NZQA's statutory obligation to monitor moderation of unit standards on the Directory of Assessment Standards (DAS).
- Summary Report on Unit Standard National External Moderation Systems managed by Industry Training Organisations 1 January 2014 - 31 December 2014 (PDF, 862KB)
Information for submitting digital materials for moderation online.