- Studying in New Zealand
- Qualifications and standards
Providers & partners
- About education organisations
- Approval, accreditation and registration
- External evaluation & review
- Assessment and moderation
- Development of assessment standards
- Development of NZ Diploma in Business prescriptions
- Submitting results and awarding qualifications
- Caring for international students: the Code of Practice for Pastoral Care
- Offshore use of qualifications and programmes
- Guidelines and forms
- About us
NZQA reviews the assessment systems of secondary schools at least once every four years to
- ensure that assessment is valid, fair, consistent, reliable, accurate, to the national standard and in accordance with the Assessment (including Examination) Rules for schools with Consent to Assess 2014 (6.3).
- confirm that the requirements for the consent to assess are being maintained.
The MNA review is a partnership between the school and NZQA. It looks for evidence to answer the question How effectively does the school ensure the credibility of assessment for national qualifications (PDF, 129KB)?
Evidence is sought in four areas of school practice:
- assessment practice
- school self evaluation
- the school’s documentation on assessment policy and procedures
- interviews with school managers, teachers and students
- data and statistics
- audits of the school’s systems for special assessment conditions, derived grades and examination centre management.
The school prepares for the MNA review, and provides some evidence to NZQA beforehand.
After the visit a report is written. Once it is finalised, NZQA makes this report publically available on their website. Should the report identify significant issues, NZQA will work in partnership with the school to resolve these with an action plan.
Find information for...
Information about how breaches of exam rules are handled Read more »
Information for students and parents about the Level 1 German exam and North Island power cut Read more »
Review of Tourism prescriptions for the New Zealand Diploma in Business Read more »
Mandatory Review of Early Childhood Education Qualifications Levels 1-6 Read more »
Mandatory Review of Foundation and Bridging Qualifications Level 1-6 Read more »