- Studying in New Zealand
- Qualifications and standards
Providers and partners
- About education organisations
- NZQA's quality assurance system for tertiary education organisations
- Quick links to NZQF documents
- Approval, accreditation and registration
- Consistency of graduate outcomes
- External evaluation and review
- Assessment and moderation
- Development of assessment standards
- Submitting results and awarding qualifications
- The Education (Pastoral Care of International Students) Code of Practice
- Offshore use of qualifications and programmes
- Guidelines and forms
- About us
Secondary moderation is an annual external moderation of assessor decisions and assessment materials for an NZQA-selected sample of internally assessed standards and randomly selected samples of student work across all curriculum areas, selected according to the school's documented random selection process.
Secondary moderation consists of:
Information for submitting digital materials for moderation online.
Assistance for teachers
NZQA provides the following to assist teachers with assessment of internal achievement standards:
NCEA Subject pages
Individual Subject pages are available for secondary school subjects.
The following resources are available:
- clarification documents, with a focus on key assessment issues that arise through moderation
- exemplars of student work, with a focus on making judgements at grade boundaries
- moderator newsletters communicating assessment information on internally assessed standards
- links to Ministry of Education TKI Resources and Conditions of Assessment.
Facebook pages for each subject
Each senior secondary school subject now has a Facebook page. Pages can be located by typing the subject name and NZQA into the Facebook search. Teachers on Facebook can click 'Like' on these pages to receive updates when new information is published on the NCEA subject pages for internally assessed standards. These pages are not intended as a subject discussion forum.
Request for Clarification of a standard
Teachers can ask specific questions of moderators about how to interpret the standard. Moderators will refer teachers to the current clarifications document, send an individual response to queries, or update the clarifications document as required.
The form can be found under Internal Moderation on Forms and documents for schools.
It is not for verifying grades on student work, or pre-moderation and approval of assessment tasks.
Appeal a Moderation Report
Best Practice Workshops
For more information, see Assessment & Moderation Assessor Support.
National Systems Check
Each year NZQA completes a national systems check to calculate the national moderation agreement rates. These rates are calculated by selecting a random sample of students’ work. The total number of students’ work received by NZQA for this purpose varies from year to year but ranges between 5,000 and 10,000 samples taken from the population of student entries for internally-assessed standards. NZQA publishes the national moderation agreement rates annually.