- Studying in New Zealand
- Qualifications and standards
Providers and partners
- About education organisations
- NZQA's quality assurance system for tertiary education organisations
- Quick links to NZQF documents
- Approval, accreditation and registration
- Consistency of graduate outcomes
- External evaluation and review
- Assessment and moderation
- Development of assessment standards
- Submitting results and awarding qualifications
- The Education (Pastoral Care of International Students) Code of Practice
- Offshore use of qualifications and programmes
- Guidelines and forms
- About us
National external moderation provides an assurance that assessment decisions, in relation to assessment standards, are consistent nationally.
NZQA carries out external school check moderation of internally assessed standards in secondary schools to ensure that:
- assessment judgements (marking of students' work) are at the national standard
- the assessment materials used (tasks, activities or tests) are at the national standard.
Each school has an annual submission date for the external school check moderation. The submission date is confirmed early in the new year when schools are advised which standards have been selected for moderation.
Schools need to submit:
- a Secondary Moderation Cover Sheet (DOC, 71KB)
- a copy of the task and any supporting resources
- a copy of the assessment schedule
- the 8 pieces of student work that have been randomly selected and stored for moderation.
For more information about the selection methods and moderation: