- Studying in New Zealand
- Qualifications and standards
Providers and partners
- About education organisations
- NZQA's quality assurance system for tertiary education organisations
- Quick links to NZQF documents
- Approval, accreditation and registration
- Consistency of graduate outcomes
- External evaluation and review
- Assessment and moderation
- Development of assessment standards
- Submitting results and awarding qualifications
- The Education (Pastoral Care of International Students) Code of Practice
- Offshore use of qualifications and programmes
- Guidelines and forms
- About us
National external moderation guidelines for Tertiary Education Organisations
- Overview of national external moderation
- NZQA’s new approach for managing national external moderation
- A Moderation Liaison for each TEO
- Assessment plan
- Assessing achievement standards
- Moderation plan
- Submitting assessment materials
- Moderation report
- National external moderation results letter (NEMR)
- Further action
- Guidance on assessment design and practice for standards
Overview of national external moderation
National external moderation provides assurance that assessment decisions for assessment standards are consistent nationally.
Every standard on the Directory of Assessment standards is attached to a CMR (Consent and Moderation Requirements). The Moderation Requirements section in the CMR sets out the national external moderation system for the standard.
Tertiary education organisations (TEOs) with consent to assess must engage in the national external moderation system for standards for which they are assessing and reporting credits.
The TEO reporting the results is responsible for the moderation. It does not matter where an organisation sources the assessment material from, or who conducted the assessment.
Moderation requirements for NZQA-managed standards
To meet national external moderation requirements for NZQA-managed standards, TEOs must:
- provide NZQA with an accurate assessment plan for the year and update it during the year if required
- meet moderation deadlines
- provide assessment materials and evidence that assessor judgements are fair, valid and consistent nationally.
Who to contact about assessment and moderation
For all questions and issues to do with assessment and moderation of NZQA-managed standards, please contact Tertiary Assessment and Moderation at NZQA.