- Studying in New Zealand
- Qualifications and standards
Providers and partners
- About education organisations
- NZQA's quality assurance system for tertiary education organisations
- Quick links to NZQF documents
- Approval, accreditation and registration
- Consistency of graduate outcomes
- External evaluation and review
- Assessment and moderation
- Development of assessment standards
- Submitting results and awarding qualifications
- The Education (Pastoral Care for International Students) Code of Practice
- Offshore use of qualifications and programmes
- Guidelines and forms
- About us
The Education (Pastoral Care for International Students) Code of Practice 2016
When students come to study in New Zealand, education providers have an important responsibility to ensure that those students are well informed, safe and properly cared for.
To support this, the New Zealand government has developed the Education (Pastoral Care of International Students) Code of Practice 2016 (the new Code of Practice). This replaces the 2010 Code of Practice.
The new Code of Practice was released in March 2016, and applies from 1 July 2016.
A transition plan has details about how the new Code will be implemented.
For more information see Frequently asked questions about the new Code of Practice.
What is the Code of Practice?
The Code of Practice prescribes the required outcomes education providers and their agents need to deliver for their international students.
The Code of Practice does not apply to concerns about academic standards.
How do I get a copy of the Code of Practice and guidelines?
The Code of Practice is available on the New Zealand Legislation website.
There are two sets of guidelines, each for different types of providers:
- Guidelines for the Education (Pastoral Care of International Students) Code of Practice 2016 – Schools (PDF, 512KB)
- Guidelines for the Education (Pastoral Care of International Students) Code of Practice 2016 –Tertiary (PDF, 586KB)
Who needs to follow the Code of Practice?
Education providers must be approved signatories to the Code of Practice to enrol international students (of any age). Education providers can become a signatory by applying to NZQA.
If an education provider is not a signatory to the Code of Practice it cannot enrol international students.
Please note that the previous Code of Practice applies to students enrolled prior to 1 July 2016 and will remain in place for those students during a transition period until 31 December 2016. From 1 January 2017, all students enrolled will be covered by the new Code of Practice.
Which education providers are signatories to the Code of Practice?
NZQA maintains a list of all education providers that are approved signatories to the Code of Practice.
Further information for signatories
Frequently asked questions about the new Code of Practice
Guidelines to support the new Code of Practice
Becoming a signatory to the Code of Practice
Annual self-review and attestation
Student complaints about providers’ compliance with the Code of Practice
Brochure for international students about making a complaint (PDF, 147KB)