- Studying in New Zealand
- Qualifications and standards
Providers and partners
- About education organisations
- NZQA's quality assurance system for tertiary education organisations
- Quick links to NZQF documents
- Approval, accreditation and registration
- Consistency of graduate outcomes
- External evaluation and review
- Assessment and moderation
- Development of assessment standards
- Submitting results and awarding qualifications
- The Education (Pastoral Care of International Students) Code of Practice
- Offshore use of qualifications and programmes
- Guidelines and forms
- About us
The Education (Pastoral Care of International Students) Code of Practice 2016
When students come to study in New Zealand, education providers have an important responsibility to ensure that those students are well informed, safe and properly cared for.
To support this, the New Zealand government has developed the Education (Pastoral Care of International Students) Code of Practice 2016, which replaced the 2010 Code of Practice.
The new Code of Practice was released in March 2016, and applied from 1 July 2016.
A transition plan has details about how the new Code will be implemented.
For more information see Frequently asked questions about the new Code of Practice.
What is the Code of Practice?
The Code of Practice prescribes the required outcomes education providers and their agents need to deliver for their international students.
The Code of Practice does not apply to concerns about academic standards.
How do I get a copy of the 2016 Code of Practice?
The Code of Practice is available, and can be downloaded as a pdf, on the New Zealand Legislation website.
The 2016 Code of Practice is also available in other languages along with a pamphlet that provides a summary of important information for international students and their families.
The 2016 Code of Practice and the pamphlet are resources for all groups and people involved in international education: e.g. international students and their families, providers that are signatories to the Code of Practice.
How do I get a copy of the 2016 Code of Practice guidelines?
The Code of Practice guidelines help signatories ensure they have appropriate practices and procedures in place to meet the outcomes of the Code of Practice.
There are two sets of guidelines, each for different types of providers:
- Guidelines for the Education (Pastoral Care of International Students) Code of Practice 2016 – Schools (PDF, 512KB)
- Guidelines for the Education (Pastoral Care of International Students) Code of Practice 2016 –Tertiary (PDF, 586KB)
Who needs to use the Code of Practice?
Education providers must be approved signatories to the Code of Practice to enrol international students (of any age). Education providers can become a signatory by applying to NZQA.
If an education provider is not a signatory to the Code of Practice it cannot enrol international students.
There is a transition between the previous and 2016 Code of Practice. The previous Code of Practice only applies to students enrolled prior to 1 July 2016 and will remain in place for those students until the end of the transition period, 31 December 2016. From 1 January 2017, all enrolled international students are covered by the 2016 Code of Practice.
Which education providers are signatories to the Code of Practice?
NZQA maintains a list of all education providers that are approved signatories to the Code of Practice.