- Studying in New Zealand
- Qualifications and standards
Providers and partners
- About education organisations
- NZQA's quality assurance system for tertiary education organisations
- Quick links to NZQF documents
- Approval, accreditation and registration
- Consistency of graduate outcomes
- External evaluation and review
- Assessment and moderation
- Development of assessment standards
- Submitting results and awarding qualifications
- The Education (Pastoral Care of International Students) Code of Practice
- Offshore use of qualifications and programmes
- Guidelines and forms
- About us
Information for Private Training Establishments and Wānanga on External Evaluation and Review
- How is evaluation used in quality assurance?
- What is external evaluation and review?
- Why do I have to participate in external evaluation and review?
- What is the structure of an external evaluation and review?
- How does an organisation prepare for external evaluation and review?
- Choosing focus areas
- The on-site visit - what happens during the external evaluation and review?
- What will an external evaluation and review cost?
- How is an external evaluation and review scheduled?
- Support for TEOs
- The evaluation team
- Conflicts of interest
- What will be in the external evaluation and review report?
- Will the report be published?
- Report reconsiderations
- What happens in the event of "not yet confident" or "not confident" results?
- How will consistency between external evaluation and reviews be managed?
- Principles guiding the conduct of external evaluation and reviews
NZQA is leading the use of an evaluative approach to quality assurance in tertiary education in New Zealand. An evaluative approach is more aligned and "fit for purpose" as our sector shifts to a more direct focus on the value of the outcomes of learning. Ongoing self-assessment by tertiary education organisations is key to the new quality assurance framework. This evaluative underpinning is backed by periodic external evaluation and review. Information on the framework can be found on the NZQA website.
NZQA will continue to provide updated, relevant information and resources to assist in this process.
This guide is intended to provide a one-stop source of information for organisations in preparing for and experiencing external evaluation and review.
I would appreciate any feedback and comments you may have on this guide to ensure it addresses matters that are important to you and your organisation. Feedback can be addressed to Paul Stone, the Manager of the External Evaluation and Review Unit, newly established within the Quality Assurance Division.
Paul can be contacted on 04 4633342 or by email firstname.lastname@example.org.