- Studying in New Zealand
- Qualifications and standards
Providers and partners
- About education organisations
- NZQA's quality assurance system for tertiary education organisations
- Quick links to NZQF documents
- Approval, accreditation and registration
- Consistency of graduate outcomes
- External evaluation and review
- Assessment and moderation
- Development of assessment standards
- Submitting results and awarding qualifications
- The Education (Pastoral Care of International Students) Code of Practice
- Offshore use of qualifications and programmes
- Guidelines and forms
- About us
National external moderation of NZQA-developed unit standards - overview
National external moderation ensures that organisations using NZQA-managed assessment standards are making assessor judgements consistent with the national standard.
NZQA selects standards for moderation based on tertiary education organisation (TEO) history, risk, high use and issues that have been identified with the standards.
Moderators look at samples of learner work sent in by TEOs and assess if the judgements are consistent with the national standard.
NZQA recommends changes to assessment materials or moderation practice when assessor judgements are not verified by NZQA.
NZQA follows up with TEOs to make sure they address the issues.
For general information about national external moderation see the tertiary moderation page.
For specific information about the national external moderation process see the national external moderation manual for Tertiary Education Organisations page.