- Studying in New Zealand
- Qualifications and standards
Providers and partners
- About education organisations
- NZQA's quality assurance system for tertiary education organisations
- Quick links to NZQF documents
- Approval, accreditation and registration
- Consistency of graduate outcomes
- External evaluation and review
- Assessment and moderation
- Development of assessment standards
- Submitting results and awarding qualifications
- The Education (Pastoral Care of International Students) Code of Practice
- Offshore use of qualifications and programmes
- Guidelines and forms
- About us
Tools and resources
Key Evaluation Questions
These questions are what external evaluation and review will try to answer. You may find them useful for your self-assessment activities or you may develop questions of your own.
Tertiary Evaluation Indicators
These indicators are merit criteria that will be used in the external evaluation to determine what ‘good may look like’. You may find them useful in your self-assessment activities.
Strengthening Organisational Self-Assessment
Self-assessment material can be found in the resource below.
Characteristics of high-performing organisations
Self-assessment is an integral part of continuous improvement in tertiary education. External evaluation and review is the process for quality assuring tertiary educational performance and self-assessment. These documents present NZQA's analysis of external evaluation and review reports to identify the characteristics of high-performing organisations.
This document shows the results of the first year of external evaluation and review, and looks at the connections between self-assessment and educational performance.
High-performing TEOs are clear and specific about their purpose, and develop programmes that reflect this. They also recognise the importance of community involvement in creating and disseminating knowledge.
This document presents the analysis of EER reports of PTEs that identified as Pasifika or made a unique contribution to a Pasifika community or learner cohort.
For industry training organisations
The resource: Using evaluation to strengthen organisational self-assessment - ITO supplement provides supplementary material to help ITOs apply the evaluative approach to their role and functions.
The resource incorporates the following documents:
- Policy and Guidelines for the Conduct of External Evaluation and Review - A supplement for Industry Training Organisations (PDF, 85KB) to be used in conjunction with Policy and Guidelines for the Conduct of External Evaluation and Review.
- Using Evaluation to Strengthen Organisational Self-Assessment - A supplement for industry training organisations (PDF, 68KB) to be used in conjunction with Using Evaluation to Strengthen Organisational Self-Assessment.
- Evaluation Indicators for Industry Training Organisations (PDF, 64KB) - tertiary evaluation indicators for ITOs provide a basis for identifying quality and value in this sector.
Links and references
You may find the following links and references useful and interesting reading.
These videos clips were developed in New Zealand from work with tertiary organisations and evaluators taking part in an external evaluation and review trial.
You may find the following fictional scenarios useful as examples of ways to develop evaluative thinking.