- Studying in New Zealand
- Qualifications and standards
Providers and partners
- About education organisations
- NZQA's quality assurance system for tertiary education organisations
- Quick links to NZQF documents
- Approval, accreditation and registration
- Consistency of graduate outcomes
- External evaluation and review
- Assessment and moderation
- Development of assessment standards
- Submitting results and awarding qualifications
- The Education (Pastoral Care of International Students) Code of Practice
- Offshore use of qualifications and programmes
- Guidelines and forms
- About us
New Zealand Scholarship Classical Studies
On this page:
|Scholarship Performance Standard (93404)||Classical Studies|
|Mode of Assessment||Written Examination|
Format of the assessment
The examination will have two sections. Candidates will answer two questions from the first section and one question from the second section.
In the first section, candidates must select two contexts from this list:
- Alexander the Great
- Virgil's Aeneid
- Aristophanic comedy
- Athenian vase painting
- Roman art and architecture.
For each context, there will be two questions, from which candidates will choose one. Candidates are expected to answer in essay format.
In the second section, candidates must select one concept from this list:
- culture and identity, with specific focus on death and the afterlife
- conflict, with specific focus on attitudes to war.
Candidates must answer one question from this section, with reference to either ancient Greece or ancient Rome. Candidates will be required to analyse and interpret unfamiliar sources of evidence (extracts and images provided in a separate resource booklet) in relation to their selected concept.
Candidates are expected to answer in paragraph or essay format.
A separate answer booklet will be provided.
The links listed below are for resources to help teachers and students understand what is required for success in New Zealand Scholarship.
- Performance standards
- Top Scholar 2015 (PDF, 5.3MB)
- Outstanding Scholarship Exemplar (PDF, 41MB)
- Scholarship Exemplar (PDF, 26MB)
- Exam materials (question books, resource books, reports, schedules, etc)
- 2015 exam materials (ZIP, 7MB)
- 2014 exam materials (ZIP, 29MB)
- 2013 exam materials (ZIP, 7.7MB)
- 2012 exam materials (ZIP, 7.2MB)
- 2011 exam materials (ZIP, 2.5MB)
- 2010 exam materials (ZIP, 899KB)
- 2009 exam materials (ZIP, 3.1MB)
- 2008 exam materials (ZIP, 891KB)
- 2007 exam materials (ZIP, 925KB)
- 2006 exam materials (ZIP, 1.5MB)
- 2005 exam materials (ZIP, 1015KB)
- 2004 exam materials (ZIP, 1.1MB)
- All years (ZIP, 24MB)