- Studying in New Zealand
- Qualifications and standards
Providers and partners
- About education organisations
- NZQA's quality assurance system for tertiary education organisations
- Quick links to NZQF documents
- Approval, accreditation and registration
- Consistency of graduate outcomes
- External evaluation and review
- Assessment and moderation
- Development of assessment standards
- Submitting results and awarding qualifications
- The Education (Pastoral Care of International Students) Code of Practice
- Offshore use of qualifications and programmes
- Guidelines and forms
- About us
New Zealand Scholarship English
On this page:
|2016 Assessment Report|
|Scholarship Performance Standard (93001)||English|
|Mode of Assessment||Written Examination|
Candidates will answer three questions, each in the form of an essay.
Format of the assessment
There will be three sections:
Section A: Close Reading of Unfamiliar Texts will require a comparison of two written texts – one prose and one poetry – with an emphasis on aspects of content and crafting. There will be a single question for this section.
Section B: Literature and Language – Genre Based will require a response to literature and/or language studied. Candidates will be required to select one question from genre-based options including poetry, non-fiction, film, non-Shakespearean drama, Shakespearean drama, novel, short story, social media, and the Internet.
Section C: Exploring Issues in Literature and Language will require an exploration of issues in literature and/or language studied. Candidates will be required to select one question from issues-based options.
- In Sections B and C, candidates should demonstrate wide knowledge and wide reading, and an appreciation of aspects of genre and intertextuality.
- Candidates should not include the same content or quotations for both Section B and Section C.
The links listed below are for resources to help teachers and students understand what is required for success in New Zealand Scholarship.
- Performance standards
- Outstanding Scholarship Exemplar (PDF, 1MB)
- Scholarship Exemplar (PDF, 1.4MB)
- Exam materials (question books, resource books, reports, schedules, etc)