- Studying in New Zealand
- Qualifications and standards
Providers and partners
- About education organisations
- NZQA's quality assurance system for tertiary education organisations
- Quick links to NZQF documents
- Approval, accreditation and registration
- Consistency of graduate outcomes
- External evaluation and review
- Assessment and moderation
- Development of assessment standards
- Submitting results and awarding qualifications
- The Education (Pastoral Care of International Students) Code of Practice
- Offshore use of qualifications and programmes
- Guidelines and forms
- About us
New Zealand Scholarship Media Studies
On this page:
|2016 Assessment Report|
|Scholarship Performance Standard (93303)||Media Studies|
|Mode of Assessment||Written Examination|
Format of the assessment
Candidates will be required to write answers for three questions. Answers will be in essay format.
Question One will focus on reading media texts (genre, readings, representation).
Question Two will focus on the relationship between media and society (industry, developments).
Question Three will focus on a candidate’s media production experience.
For all questions, candidates will be expected to demonstrate a critical understanding of at least one medium/media industry and its context, illustrated by reference to specific media texts and other relevant evidence.
For example, for Question Three, candidates will be expected to demonstrate a critical understanding of their chosen medium and its production context, illustrated by specific reference to their own production(s) and other relevant evidence.
Candidates may not use the same material to answer more than one question.
Each question will require candidates to address a selected quotation/statement or discussion question in their analysis.
Each essay will be marked on a scale of 0–8.
Media Studies resources
The links listed below are for resources to help teachers and students understand what is required for success in New Zealand Scholarship.
- Performance standards
- Top Scholar 2015 (PDF, 7.8MB)
- Outstanding Scholarship Exemplar (PDF, 7.9MB)
- Scholarship Exemplar (PDF, 8.3MB)
- Exam materials (question books, resource books, reports, schedules, etc)