Documents required for an International Qualification Assessment

As the IQA is an assessment of how your international qualification fits into the New Zealand system, there are a number of documents we require to support your application – including your original qualification award and record of study.

The standard processing time for IQA applications is 35 working days, but processing time is helped by ensuring you submit all the necessary documents stated here when you send them to us via courier in your application package, as we can’t begin processing your application until we have all the necessary documents.

Please note: Your IQA application form is filled out online and payment is made online during this process as well, but you’re required to send your supporting documents to us via courier. We’ll return these if you’ve paid the courier return fee or if you’ve included a prepaid courier bag with your documents.

Documents we require for an IQA

Handy tip

There are a numbers of reasons we ask for originals of some of your documents, including ensuring the authenticity of your qualification, to make sure our assessment of your qualifications is accurate, and because details can easily be lost or cut off with scans and photocopies.

A CERTIFIED copy of your passport bio-data page: the page that shows your photograph, your full name and date of birth.
What's a certified copy?

The ORIGINAL qualification award: that was issued to you when you graduated. (Common names include: your degree, diploma or certificate).

Additional notes:

  • This must be the original, not a copy.

The ORIGINAL and complete record of study: that was issued to you along with your original award (degree/diploma/certificate etc), which shows all the papers/subjects you completed and the marks/grades you received for each. (Common names include: your transcript, diploma supplement, mark sheet, record of learning, apprenticeship).

Additional notes:

  • This must be the original, not a copy.
  • We ask for your record of study in order to help us understand the content of your qualification. If your record of study doesn’t have detailed information on it about your papers or grades, please also provide a syllabus or course outline of your qualification. If you don’t have this in your possession, you’ll need to contact your education provider for help.
  • If you changed education providers mid-study, or were allowed credit from one qualification to count towards another qualification, this must be on the transcript. NZQA need to see the full account of the content and grades of your study. If your transcript doesn’t provide a clear explanation of your circumstances and these details, please contact the education provider where you completed your qualification, and ask for a letter that has a full explanation to send to us in addition to your transcript.

More documents you may need to supply, depending on your individual circumstance:

A certified copy showing evidence of your name change: If the name on your passport is not the same as the name on your qualification/s. This could be a marriage certificate, deed poll or other official documentation to explain why the name on your qualification differs to your official identification document. You’ll need to submit this as well as a certified copy of your passport bio-data page.

English translations of all of the above: If your documents are not in English, you’ll need to have them translated by a recognised translation service, onto an official letterhead with the stamp or signature of the translator or translation service. When you’re required to submit an ORIGINAL document (see above), we’ll need the original document in the original language, AS WELL AS the official English translation of it.

Additional notes:

  • The translation cannot be prepared by you, any member of your family, or any person interested in the outcome of your application.
  • See a list of recommended translators in New Zealand.
  • Teaching Practicum form: You’ll need to complete the Teaching Practicum Form and send it along with your other documents to support your IQA if you hold an overseas initial teacher education (ITE) qualification and are intending to use the IQA to help you apply for Teacher Registration and/or Teacher Salary in New Zealand. Or, if you’re applying for an IQA because you’re a registered school teacher in New Zealand with a NZ teaching qualification, and you want your qualifications assessed for Teacher Salary purposes.

Download the Teaching Practicum form (DOCX, 15KB)

Common documentation (originals or certified copies) sent to us that we do not require:

  • High school certificate/proof of matriculation
  • Photocopies of all your documents
  • Every page of your passport (we only need your bio-data page as a certified copy)
  • Birth certificates
  • Work experience letters, work contracts, or work references (work experience is not relevant to QRS assessments unless it’s part of the process to gain a formal apprenticeship or trade qualification.
  • CV/Resume
  • Bank or salary details
  • Portfolios of any description
  • Licences or non-NZ registration documentation
  • IELTS/TOEFL certs or any other English language competency cert.

What’s a certified copy?

A certified copy is a photocopy that has been stamped or endorsed by a person to confirm it is a true copy of the original document. The person who certifies the copy must be authorised to do so by law in your home country or in New Zealand – for example a lawyer, Notary Public, Justice of the Peace, or court official. You’ll need the official's signature on each page, with the name and title of the official shown clearly below their signature.

How to send your documents

There are two components to applying for your IQA – the online application form with payment, and the mailing of physical documents to NZQA.

  • Step 1: Fill out the IQA form online, submit
  • Step 2: Send physical items via trackable courier
    • Your necessary documents, as stated above.
      If you’re based in New Zealand, include a prepaid, trackable courier bag with your name and address on it, which is large enough to hold your documents without bending or folding – we will use this to send your documents back to you. If you don’t include this or you’re based overseas, you’ll need to pay the $41 ‘return documents’ fee at the time you submit your IQA form online. Please note: We can’t process your application until we have either the courier bag or the paid return documents fee.
    • Include your completed Teaching Practicum Form if you’re a teacher applying for Teacher Registration/Salary.
    • Send your documents to:
      PO Box 160
      Wellington 6140
      New Zealand
      Attention:  QRS
  • Step 3: Your documents will be returned via courier post

Do you have all your documents together?


Skip to main page content Accessibility page with list of access keys Home Page Site Map Contact Us