- Studying in New Zealand
- Qualifications and standards
Providers and partners
- About education organisations
- NZQA's quality assurance system for tertiary education organisations
- Quick links to NZQF documents
- Approval, accreditation and registration
- Consistency of graduate outcomes
- External evaluation and review
- Assessment and moderation
- Development of assessment standards
- Submitting results and awarding qualifications
- The Education (Pastoral Care of International Students) Code of Practice
- Offshore use of qualifications and programmes
- Guidelines and forms
- About us
Business qualification development
In early 2015, new Business qualifications were listed on the New Zealand Qualifications Framework (NZQF). Refer to Mandatory review of business qualifications levels 1-6.
Strands in Marketing and Sales, and Human Resource Management, have been developed for New Zealand Diplomas in Business Levels 5 and 6.
Stakeholder feedback is being sought through the Business qualifications strands consultation page.
Qualification Developer role
At the time of listing, the Qualification Developer was identified as "NZQA Qualifications Services on behalf of and in collaboration with the sector" as there was no single entity that covered the breadth of interest in Business education.
Information regarding the Qualification Developer role and responsibilities is available in Rule 13.1 of the NZQF Qualification Listing and Operational Rules 2012.
Business qualifications advisory committee
An advisory committee for New Zealand Business qualifications was established in July 2016, to provide industry and education expertise to NZQA Qualifications Services on behalf of the sector. The advisory committee replaces the Business Qualification Developer Group (BQDG), which was disestablished at the same time.
Business qualifications advisory committee members are:
- Adam Hollingworth, Ara Institute of Canterbury
- Allan Murphy, Trade Education Ltd & Driving Success Ltd
- Annemarie McManus, NZQA Qualifications Services
- Helen McPhun, Learn Plus Limited & MCZOOM Ltd
- John Modlik, Te Wānanga o Aotearoa
- Kay Lion, Otago Polytechnic
- Kharen Hope, The Skills Organisation
- Naomi Hughes, Aotahi Limited
- Terry Swanson, Kiwi Institute of Training Education
Business Qualification Developer Group (BQDG)
The Business Qualification Developer Group (BQDG) had been set up, in September 2015, to oversee qualification review and development work, and participate in consistency management processes, for New Zealand Business qualifications.
It was intended that the BQDG would form an entity of some kind and become the identified Qualification Developer. However, this became unfeasible, so the BQDG requested NZQA continue on as Qualification Developer, on behalf of the sector, and that its members become an advisory committee.
- BQDG October 2015 minutes (PDF, 403KB)
- BQDG March 2016 minutes (PDF, 223KB)
- BQDG April/May 2016 minutes (PDF, 173KB)
- BQDG July 2016 minutes (PDF, 151KB)
BQDG establishment process
With the intent to enable the Business sector to discuss and perhaps establish the on-going Qualification Developer role, NZQA Qualifications Services convened a hui in May 2015 of representatives from their existing and previous Business advisory committees:
- Whakaruruhau for qualifications in Māori Business and Management
- the National Advisory Committee for Business Studies (NACBS), for the long-standing New Zealand Diploma in Business (NZDipBus)
- the former Business Governance Group, established to oversee new qualifications development (for the Mandatory review of Business qualifications, Levels 1-6).
This resulted in establishment of an Interim Steering Committee (the 11 hui attendees) to establish the Business Qualification Developer group, with the assistance of NZQA Qualifications Services.
In July 2015, the Interim Steering Committee proposed to the sector how to appoint a Qualification Developer group, oversaw the process, and appointed members to the group in September 2015.
Feedback or queries regarding Business qualification development may be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org.