- Studying in New Zealand
- Qualifications and standards
Providers and partners
- About education organisations
- NZQA's quality assurance system for tertiary education organisations
- Quick links to NZQF documents
- Approval, accreditation and registration
- Consistency of graduate outcomes
- External evaluation and review
- Assessment and moderation
- Development of assessment standards
- Submitting results and awarding qualifications
- The Education (Pastoral Care of International Students) Code of Practice
- Offshore use of qualifications and programmes
- Guidelines and forms
- About us
Health and Disabilities, Social Services and Whānau Ora Qualifications
Developing an approach to the Review
The initial stages of the review of Mātauranga Māori qualifications in the Health and Disabilities, Social Services and Whānau Ora sectors were coordinated by NZQA Māori Qualifications Services and the Ministry of Health. The piece of work led by Careerforce focussed on the other (mainstream) qualifications within the broader scope of this review.
The outcome will be a complete review of qualifications, training outcomes, career pathways and community outcomes for the sectors through the mandatory review of these qualifications.
We have worked collaboratively to develop an approach to the review that ensures the development of qualifications meet the needs of the sector, whānau, hapū, iwi and communities.
A Governance Group has been established to:
- provide strategic advice and guidance to ensure Matauranga Māori and Sector needs are met and enduring qualifications developed.
- critically analyse developments and endorse workgroup submissions.
- provide final endorsement of the qualifications.
Needs Analysis documents
The Needs Analysis documents provided support for the development of the qualifications within this review and an analysis of the current qualifications with key findings and issues.
Expressions of interest for Working Group
Working groups representing key stakeholders and qualification owners were established and tasked specifically with carrying out the qualifications development work for this review.
Where numbers of people interested in being in the working groups were larger than needed, these interested parties were added to the wider consultation group as we were keenly interested in all views.
The initial Stakeholder hui
As a starting point for the qualifications review, Māori Qualifications Services NZQA and the Ministry of Health facilitated a full-day hui in Auckland on 13 March with qualification owners, Health, Social Service and Education providers, and other stakeholders to discuss the approach and structure for the review and development of qualifications in this stream.
Minutes from the initial Stakeholder hui are available (PDF, 211KB). Please note that the appendices referred in the minutes are in the table below.
- Appendix 1 (PDF, 24KB) - Stakeholders who attended
- Appendix 2 (PDF, 696KB) - Tui Marsh (NZQA) presentation
- Appendix 3 (PDF, 427KB) - Tania Hodges (MOH) presentation