- Studying in New Zealand
- Qualifications and standards
Providers and partners
- About education organisations
- NZQA's quality assurance system for tertiary education organisations
- Quick links to NZQF documents
- Approval, accreditation and registration
- Consistency of graduate outcomes
- External evaluation and review
- Assessment and moderation
- Development of assessment standards
- Submitting results and awarding qualifications
- The Education (Pastoral Care of International Students) Code of Practice
- Offshore use of qualifications and programmes
- Guidelines and forms
- About us
Mandatory review of Manaaki Marae - Marae Hospitality qualifications
Approved for Listing
The Governance Group and NZQA Māori Qualifications Services are pleased to confirm that in June 2015 four new Manaaki Marae mātauranga Māori qualifications were approved for listing on the New Zealand Qualifications Framework (NZQF).
The following qualifications can now be accessed through the NZQA website links below or by searching for the qualification reference number or title.
The qualifications are:
- New Zealand Diploma in Manaaki Marae – Te Hāpai Ō Ki Muri (Kaupae 5) [Ref: 2432]
- New Zealand Certificate in Manaaki Marae – Whāngai Tāngata (Kaupae 4) [Ref: 2433]
- New Zealand Certificate in Manaaki Marae – Te Nihowera, Te Ringawera (Kaupae 3) [Ref: 2434]
- New Zealand Certificate in Manaaki Marae – Te Kāuta, Te Wharekai (Kaupae 2) [Ref: 2435]
As a result of this review, the National Certificate in Marae Catering (Level 2) [Ref: 1165] has now been designated as expiring and has been replaced by the New Zealand Certificate in Manaaki Marae – Te Kāuta, Te Wharekai (Kaupae 2) [Ref: 2435]. Please refer to the change report for more information.
All the qualifications were approved for further development on 7 October 2013, with an overall rating of He Pounamu Kahurangi (PDF, 660KB) (Excellent).
Qualifications in Food and Hospitality at Levels 1-6 (excluding university qualifications), were reviewed as part of the nation-wide mandatory review of qualifications.
Included under Food and Hospitality is Manaaki Marae - Marae Hospitality. Currently there is only one qualification in Marae Catering (the National Certificate in Marae Catering (Level2) [Ref: 1165]).
NZQA Māori Qualifications Services (MQS), as developer of this qualification, asked for expressions of interest to form a Governance/Working group of representatives from the secondary, tertiary and hospitality sectors, and marae. The Governance/Working group were asked to develop a new suite of qualifications for Manaaki Marae – Marae Hospitality based on the strategic need for them (as identified in the Needs Analysis (PDF, 649KB)). The involvement of such a group was vital to ensure that any qualifications developed are useful, relevant and valuable to current and future learners, employers, and other stakeholders.
This Governance/Working group confirmed that the Manaaki Marae qualifications were to be quality assured under the Mātauranga Māori Evaluative Quality Assurance (MM EQA) process (which acknowledges that a distinctive approach is required in order to quality assure mātauranga Māori qualifications). As such, this suite of qualifications were developed using kaupapa Māori.
Information only. Feedback on these documents has now closed.
If you have any questions about the newly listed Manaaki Marae qualifications, please email Māori Qualifications Services.