- Studying in New Zealand
- Qualifications and standards
Providers and partners
- About education organisations
- NZQA's quality assurance system for tertiary education organisations
- Quick links to NZQF documents
- Approval, accreditation and registration
- Consistency of graduate outcomes
- External evaluation and review
- Assessment and moderation
- Development of assessment standards
- Submitting results and awarding qualifications
- The Education (Pastoral Care of International Students) Code of Practice
- Offshore use of qualifications and programmes
- Guidelines and forms
- About us
Mandatory Review of Science Qualifications Levels 1-6
Qualifications in Science levels 1-6 have been reviewed as part of the nationwide mandatory review of qualifications.
The new Science qualifications were listed on the New Zealand Qualifications Framework on 12 February 2015. They can be accessed through the links below or by searching for the reference number.
- New Zealand Certificate in Applied Science (Level 3) [Ref: 2550]
- New Zealand Certificate in Applied Science (Level 4) [Ref: 2551]
- New Zealand Diploma in Applied Science (Level 5) [Ref: 2552]
- New Zealand Diploma in Applied Science (Level 6) [Ref: 2553]
- New Zealand Certificate in Laboratory Systems Management (Level 6) [Ref: 2554]
Christchurch Polytechnic Institute of Technology (CPIT) has been confirmed as the ongoing Qualification Developer. Any questions about the listed qualifications should be directed to CPIT. NZQA National Qualifications Services, who was the interim qualification developer for the duration of the review, facilitated meetings of Governance and Working Groups, and maintained communications with stakeholders.
Use of unit standards in programmes leading to the new qualifications
The new qualifications may be assessed with local components, achievement standards, unit standards, or a mixture of all three. The following examples provide some combinations of unit standards which may be useful in programmes.
- New Zealand Certificate in Applied Science (Level 3) (PDF, 25KB) [Ref: 2550]
- New Zealand Certificate in Applied Science (Level 4) (PDF, 64KB) [Ref: 2551]
- New Zealand Diploma in Applied Science (Level 5) (PDF, 48KB) [Ref: 2552]
- New Zealand Diploma in Applied Science (Level 6) (PDF, 39KB) [Ref: 2553]
- New Zealand Certificate in Laboratory Systems Management (Level 6) (PDF, 10KB) [Ref: 2554]
National Qualifications Services will continue to maintain the Science unit standards, and we will develop new unit standards to match new qualifications if requested. We welcome your feedback about their suitability and usefulness, to NQS@nzqa.govt.nz.
If you have any questions about the newly listed Science qualifications, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.