Review of NZQA Māori Qualifications Services CMR
CMR for Te Mātauranga Māori me te Whakangungu [Ref: 0091]
NZQA Māori Qualifications Services (MQS) has completed the review of the Consent and Moderation Requirements (CMR) above.
Date new version published June 2019
The next CMR review is planned to take place during 2023.
Summary of Review
This review was required as part of the ongoing maintenance of the CMR. The CMR for Te Mātauranga Māori me te Whakangungu had not been reviewed for some time and required updating from the Accreditation and Moderation Action Plan (AMAP) to the CMR format.
Over the last few years MQS has developed new unit standards, as part of the standards review process, to align with the outcomes of some of the New Zealand qualifications in Field Māori. These developments have resulted in MQS rethinking the CMR documents internally. In doing this, it was decided to review the suite of CMRs to align those requirements that were similar (or which had more commonalities than differences) yet retain individual requirements for those subfields and domains that had distinctive differences.
The Moderation Requirements (MR) section that applies to all CMRs for NZQA National Qualifications Services and Māori Qualifications Services was revised in November 2016 to reflect changes to content and links as a result of the introduction of online national external moderation.
Compliance with new requirements
Requirements for consent to assess will apply with effect from June 2019.
Moderation system requirements will apply with effect from June 2019.
Accreditation and Moderation Action Plan for Te Mātauranga Māori me te Whakangungu [Ref: 0091]
Consent and Moderation Requirements for Te Mātauranga Māori me te Whakangungu [Ref: 0091]
Requirements for Consent to Assess (RCA)
Visit waiver conditions were added to the CMR that outline the circumstances under which Whakaruruhau involvement in a consent to assess visit will be waived.
Industry or sector-specific requirements for consent to assess
· Criterion 1 – a requirement that ngā kaupapa o Te Hono o Te Kahurangi underpin teaching programmes was added to ensure alignment with the Te Mātauranga me te Whakangungu unit standards, qualifications, and teaching and assessment practices.
· Criterion 6 – requirement for Off-site practical or work-based components was added (in terms of harvesting natural resources), including reference to the Health and Safety at Work (General Risk and Workplace Management) Regulations 2016.
· Te Hono o Te Kahurangi – requirement for all providers of field Māori unit standards to show how the kaupapa (principles) of Te Hono o Te Kahurangi are expressed by their organisation was added.
Moderation Requirements (MR)
A separate review of the Moderation Requirements (MR) was undertaken by NZQA in August 2015, and the reviewed version applies to all NZQA CMRs. The MR section was revised in November 2016 to reflect changes to content and links as a result of the introduction of online national external moderation, and an updated version has been incorporated into this CMR.
· System Structure and Coverage and Intensity of Moderation sections replaced by the Moderation System section, which reflects current external moderation practice.
· Materials required for moderation section updated, which outlines what must be submitted (for both schools and TEOs), including learner samples.
· Outline of Responsibilities and Reporting section replaced by the Reporting section, which includes moderation reports, summary of moderation outcomes, querying moderation reports, and feedback on moderation system.
· Funding section added, including reference to Best Practice Workshops and the rate charged for additional support or activities (reflects the fees rate introduced on 1 July 2018).
· Non-compliance with moderation requirements section added, including specific examples of NZQA actions in cases of ongoing non-compliance.
· Disputes section replaced by Appeals section, referring organisations to the NZQA website for guidance.
· Links to documents on the NZQA website were provided and/or updated.