Candidates who leave secondary education or transfer to another school

There is a different procedure for students who leave secondary education to those who transfer to another school.

Procedures for students leaving secondary education

If a student leaves secondary education, update student’s information in ENROL to reflect this and withdraw all entries that you will not report to NZQA as a result (except for any external entries where the student has indicated they expect to sit the examination). Leave the student enrolment active in your data file submission to NZQA until the end of the following January, when you withdraw all leavers. This will allow the student to view their results online and gain any qualifications relevant to that year.

Procedures for students transferring to another school

Students can only have one active secondary school enrolment with NZQA each year. This means that when a student transfers schools the following procedures must be followed.

School transferred from (previous school)

The previous school is responsible for updating student’s information in ENROL, withdrawing all entries and the NZQA enrolment.If unsure of the destination school, treat the student as leaving secondary education until the transfer is confirmed. When requested, the school must send a full transcript of the transferring student's results for the year, NCEA fees payment and financial assistance application details to the new school.

School transferred to (new school)

The new school should update ENROL and request NCEA fees payment and financial assistance information from the previous school. To assure that all the transferring student’s results have been recorded, NZQA recommends requesting a full academic transcript from the previous school. When making an enrolment for the student with NZQA, these results need to be reported using the previous school’s provider code to ensure the correct school is responsible for moderation. The new school needs to make appropriate entries for standards the student will be assessed for in the remainder of the year, including externals. 

A list of contacts for Principal’s Nominees can be found in School’s Administration in the Provider Login.

If required a candidate's previous results, qualifications and endorsements can be obtained using the Candidate Results from Other Providers link in the Provider Login.

Late External Entry process for transferring candidates

Students who transfer after 1 September will not have personalised papers at the new examination centre. The new school will need to follow the Late Entry process which includes:

  • adding the details of entries to the data submission and
  • requesting papers for the student.

The student will be marked absent at the previous school examination centre who will return the personalised papers to NZQA.


Find information for...

Skip to main page content Accessibility page with list of access keys Home Page Site Map Contact Us