Providers and partners

Special Assessment Conditions – information for parents and caregivers

What Special Assessment Conditions are available?

  • Brailled papers
  • Enlarged papers
  • Special papers
  • Signing supervisor
  • Signing Reader
  • Reader
  • Computer or Writer
  • Separate accommodation
  • Extra time
  • Rest breaks.


  • Severely disabled students may use approved assistive technology for extra help. 
  • Special papers are for visual disorders, and may be printed on coloured paper, or as a PDF that may be uploaded onto an iPad, laptop or PC for the student to enlarge to the size that they need.
  • A Signing Reader uses sign-assisted English. 
  • If the student has a writing disability then Writer and Computer are interchangeable but cannot both be used in the one assessment. 
  • Separate accommodation is automatically assigned when a Writer or Reader are assisting. 
  • Rest breaks are for “time out”, e.g. a diabetic student may need to test blood, inject insulin, eat or drink special food, and the time this takes away from the normal writing time for the assessment is added on to the end of the session.

To find out what possible special assessment conditions are available for the difficulties that your child may have, and what sort of documentation is required to support the diagnosis, read the Potential barriers and possible SAC support page.

Students may have learning problems in reading and/or writing and/or processing speed.  The school may apply for use of appropriate SAC from the results of their school testing of your child’s difficulties, or you may have an assessment report diagnosing a Specific Learning Disorder (SLD), such as dyslexia, from a registered assessor (psychologist or NZCER Level C assessor). Take all such reports to the school for discussion of the student's current need.


Skip to main page content Accessibility page with list of access keys Home Page Site Map Contact Us