Make a complaint

If you wish to make a complaint about either NZQA or a Tertiary Education Organisation (TEO) please follow the instructions below.

Complaints about NZQA

At NZQA we want to provide you with great service. If you are unhappy with the service you have received from NZQA, please let us know so that we can remedy the situation and learn from it. With your feedback we can improve our processes.

We aim to investigate and resolve all complaints quickly and effectively. The timeframe for complaint resolution and outcome is ten working days, or earlier if possible.

If you have a complaint about NZQA, please let us know by:

  • phone: 04 463 3000 or 0800 697 296
  • post:
    NZQA Complaints and Feedback
    P O Box 160
    Wellington 6140
    New Zealand

To help us investigate your complaint fully, please include:

  • your contact details, including name, address and contact numbers
  • a brief description of the complaint, and any steps that have been taken to try to resolve it with NZQA
  • copies of any relevant documents.

Complaints about Registered Education Providers

We have processes for handling complaints we receive about registered education providers including private training establishments (PTEs), wānanga and institutes of technology and polytechnics (ITPs). If you have a complaint about a registered education provider, you should follow the provider's complaints procedure in the first instance.

If the matter is not resolved satisfactorily, you may make a formal complaint in writing through NZQA.

For more information, see Make a complaint about a provider.

What happens next?

If you raise a complaint via phone, we will try to resolve it immediately. If further investigation is required, we will advise you of the estimated time this will take. We will provide you with contact details, in case you would like to check the progress of your complaint.

If you raise a complaint via our website or email, we will acknowledge it within two working days from date of receipt. We may need to contact you to seek clarification or obtain additional information relating to your complaint.

Skip to main page content Accessibility page with list of access keys Home Page Site Map Contact Us