- Studying in New Zealand
- Qualifications and standards
Providers and partners
- About education organisations
- NZQA's quality assurance system for tertiary education organisations
- Quick links to NZQF documents
- Approval, accreditation and registration
- Consistency of graduate outcomes
- External evaluation and review
- Assessment and moderation
- Development of assessment standards
- Submitting results and awarding qualifications
- The Education (Pastoral Care for International Students) Code of Practice
- Offshore use of qualifications and programmes
- Guidelines and forms
- About us
Assuring national consistency of graduate outcomes of New Zealand qualifications
Consistency of graduate outcomes provides assurance that all graduates of New Zealand qualifications meet the outcomes to an equivalent, nationally acceptable standard.
New Zealand certificates and diplomas are the new qualifications listed on the New Zealand Qualifications Framework. They are a result of changes arising from the targeted review of qualifications at levels 1-6 (not including university qualifications).
Graduates can obtain a New Zealand qualification through a range of education organisations. More than one programme can lead to a New Zealand qualification.
An approach for assuring the national consistency of graduate outcomes of Mātauranga Māori qualifications is being developed.
Assuring national consistency supports the credibility of New Zealand qualifications, both in New Zealand and internationally.
Consistency reviews of qualifications
Qualifications will be scheduled for a 'consistency review', which will be facilitated by an independent reviewer. NZQA will administer the review schedule, appoint the reviewers and work with qualification developers and tertiary education organisations (TEOs) to prepare for the consistency review.
To cover the costs of the reviews, NZQA will charge a Consistency fee when completions of New Zealand qualifications are reported by education organisations.
Guidelines for assuring national consistency of graduate outcomes
Guidelines have been developed and set out:
- the responsibilities of TEOs, qualification developers, consistency reviewers and NZQA
- the stages of the consistency review process
- how decisions are made and reported.
Please use these guidelines (PDF, 373KB) when preparing for a consistency review.
Schedule for assuring national consistency
The schedule (PDF, 250KB) shows the qualifications that are being assured for national consistency until mid 2016.
NZQA will contact qualification developers of qualifications already listed to review listing details and discuss evidence requirements for assuring consistency of graduate outcomes. If you would like further information please email email@example.com.