- Studying in New Zealand
- Qualifications and standards
Providers & partners
- About education organisations
- Approval, accreditation and registration
- External evaluation & review
- Assessment and moderation
- Development of assessment standards
- Development of NZ Diploma in Business prescriptions
- Submitting results and awarding qualifications
- Caring for international students: the Code of Practice for Pastoral Care
- Offshore use of qualifications and programmes
- Guidelines and forms
- About us
University Entrance (UE) is the minimum requirement to go to a New Zealand university. To qualify you will need:
- NCEA Level 3
- Three subjects - at Level 3, made up of:
- 14 credits each, in three approved subjects
- Literacy - 10 credits at Level 2 or above, made up of:
- 5 credits in reading
- 5 credits in writing
- Numeracy - 10 credits at Level 1 or above, made up of:
- achievement standards – specified achievement standards available through a range of subjects, or
- unit standards - package of three numeracy unit standards (26623, 26626, 26627- all three required).
Once you have met the requirements for University Entrance it will appear on your Record of Achievement.
Credits can be accumulated over more than one year.
If a unit and an achievement standard assess the same learning outcome, only the credits for ONE standard can be counted. In other words they are 'mutually exclusive'. A list of such exclusions is published each year.
When an applicant does not qualify for University Entrance to a New Zealand university, they may be eligible for Discretionary Entrance.
See New Zealand Vice-Chancellors' Committee - Discretionary Entrance for more information.
Find information for...
Information about how breaches of exam rules are handled Read more »
Information for students and parents about the Level 1 German exam and North Island power cut Read more »
Review of Tourism prescriptions for the New Zealand Diploma in Business Read more »
Mandatory Review of Early Childhood Education Qualifications Levels 1-6 Read more »
Mandatory Review of Foundation and Bridging Qualifications Level 1-6 Read more »