- Studying in New Zealand
- Qualifications and standards
Providers & partners
- About education organisations
- Quick links to NZQF documents
- Approval, accreditation and registration
- Consistency of graduate outcomes
- External evaluation & review
- Assessment and moderation
- Development of assessment standards
- Development of NZ Diploma in Business prescriptions
- Submitting results and awarding qualifications
- The Code of Practice for Pastoral Care - caring for international students
- Offshore use of qualifications and programmes
- Guidelines and forms
- About us
University Entrance (UE) is the minimum requirement to go to a New Zealand university. To qualify you will need:
- NCEA Level 3
- Three subjects - at Level 3, made up of:
- 14 credits each, in three approved subjects
- Literacy - 10 credits at Level 2 or above, made up of:
- 5 credits in reading
- 5 credits in writing
- Numeracy - 10 credits at Level 1 or above, made up of:
- achievement standards – specified achievement standards available through a range of subjects, or
- unit standards - package of three numeracy unit standards (26623, 26626, 26627- all three required).
Once you have met the requirements for University Entrance it will appear on your Record of Achievement.
Credits can be accumulated over more than one year.
If a unit and an achievement standard assess the same learning outcome, only the credits for ONE standard can be counted. In other words they are 'mutually exclusive'. A list of such exclusions is published each year.
When an applicant does not qualify for University Entrance to a New Zealand university, they may be eligible for Discretionary Entrance.
See New Zealand Vice-Chancellors' Committee - Discretionary Entrance for more information.
Appeals process for Discretionary and Ad Eundem Statum Entrance
Applicants who are not happy with the decision of a University regarding disccretionary entrance may appeal that decision.
Background to university entrance requirement
There was a review of university entrance in 2010 which led to changes that were implemented in March 2014. See the review of university entrance 2010 page for background information about the review process.
Find information for...
Provisional NCEA achievement results Read more »
Assessment & Moderation Best Practice Workshops Read more »
NCEA results available Read more »
Consultation: Early Childhood Education Draft Qualifications Read more »
Updated Guidelines for approval of New Zealand qualifications: now available Read more »