- Studying in New Zealand
- Qualifications and standards
Providers and partners
- About education organisations
- NZQA's quality assurance system for tertiary education organisations
- Quick links to NZQF documents
- Approval, accreditation and registration
- Consistency of graduate outcomes
- External evaluation and review
- Assessment and moderation
- Development of assessment standards
- Submitting results and awarding qualifications
- The Code of Practice for Pastoral Care - caring for international students
- Offshore use of qualifications and programmes
- Guidelines and forms
- About us
Get international qualifications recognised for immigration
Immigrants who apply for residence in New Zealand under the Skilled Migrant Category may need to have their qualifications assessed by the New Zealand Qualifications Authority (NZQA). Find out whether you need your qualifications assessed, and how to arrange an assessment.
Immigration to New Zealand has increased significantly during the past year and the high numbers of applications for assessment of qualifications are affecting timeframes for responding.
Please ensure you submit all necessary documentation when you make your application. This will assist us to respond to you as soon as possible.
What do I need to do?
1. Check if your qualification is on Immigration New Zealand's List of Qualifications Exempt from Assessment. This lists the qualifications that will get points without the need for an NZQA assessment.
Note: This list is for immigration purposes only. The inclusion of a qualification on this list does not have bearing on the status of the qualification for professional registration, further study, salary or employment purposes.
If your qualification ...
appears on the List of Qualifications Exempt from Assessment
it does not need to be assessed by NZQA. Continue with the immigration application process.
does not appear on the List of Qualifications Exempt from Assessment
you will need to have your qualification assessed by NZQA. Go to step 2.
Note: If you are unsure whether you need a qualification assessed, refer to Immigration New Zealand.
2. Apply to NZQA for an assessment, as follows:
If you are ...
submitting an Expression of Interest to Immigration New Zealand
apply for a Pre-assessment Result.
applying for residence following receipt of an Invitation to Apply from Immigration New Zealand
apply for an International Qualifications Assessment.
Note about Immigration Advisors (or agents)
If you are using an Advisor when applying or acting as an Advisor to applicants, you need to be aware of the Immigration Advisors Licensing Act 2007.
NZQA will accept applications from agents provided:
- the agent is registered under the Immigration Advisors Licensing Act 2007; or
- the agent conclusively demonstrates that s/he is exempt from licensing under this Act; or
- the agent conclusively demonstrates that the application is not for immigration purposes.
The agent must sign the Cover Sheet of the application.