Extension of consent to assess for schools

Extension of consent to assess for schools

A school or wharekura must be granted Consent To Assess before it can assess learners against standards on the NZQF. In most cases, the initial grant of Consent To Assess is for all standards in the Base Scope of Consent to Assess for Schools (BSCS).

Schools or wharekura wishing to assess against standards beyond the scope of their existing consent must apply to NZQA.

Apply for extension of Consent to Assess

To apply to NZQA for an extension of Consent to Assess for your school, contact your School Relationship Manager (SRM) if you wish to discuss the detail of your application. Otherwise, follow these steps.

  1. Complete the Consent and Moderation Requirements form (CMR) (DOC, 37KB). (Document 1). So as to comply with Rule 7.2(a) of the Consent to Assess Against Standards on the Directory of Assessment Standards Rules 2011 (CAAS), the school must demonstrate that it can meet the consent and moderation requirements for the relevant standard(s).
  2. If the Standard Setting Body (SSB) is an Industry Training Organisation (ITO) the school must contact the ITO and seek support for the Consent To Assess extension (DOC, 27KB) for the relevant standards (Document 2). Document 1 must be attached to this letter so the ITO can evaluate the school’s ability to meet the consent and moderation requirements to assess the relevant standards.
  3. Send to NZQA:

Send the application to:
School Relationship Manager
School Quality Assurance and Liaison
125 The Terrace
PO Box 160
Wellington 6140

What happens next?

Once the application is received, it is analysed and either approved or further information is requested. The approval process takes approximately 20 working days.

After this time, you should receive confirmation of the extension of consent to assess. These standards will be included in your school's list of accreditations and you may begin assessing students.

You will receive an invoice for $200 + GST once your application has been processed and approved.

You can view your school's consents on the website by searching "Education organisations" using the school's name or code.  The school's consents file is also found in "File Downloads" (Accreds.txt) on the school's NZQA secure website and can be uploaded to the school's Student Management System database.

Further information

If you have any questions or require further information, contact the School Quality Assurance and Liaison team.

Find information for...

Skip to main page content Accessibility page with list of access keys Home Page Site Map Contact Us newzealand.govt.nz